By Sonia Bavistock
Blue skies, sunlight and blooming backyards are three signs of spring that have us preparing to store away those woollen jumpers with joy.
A spring clean of your home is one way to prepare for the sunshine season, but without knowing where (or how) to start, we decided to call in the experts.
Meet: Caroline Owler and Nadia Yelland, professional home organisers and stylists, and founders of Adelaide-based home decor styling consultancy, Edited Interiors.
We asked the duo to share their ultimate editing tips for every room in the house incorporating their favourite picks from the new Shop South Australia marketplace to spruce up your space for spring.
Meeting after their children started school together, the pair quickly discovered a shared passion for creating stylish and functional interior spaces.
With seven children between them, they understand the importance of having an organised home and life.
So set aside the weekend, take a few of the following tips on board and treat yourself to a little something on Shop South Australia, where you’ll find more than 300 local products from over 65 brands.
• Do a stocktake of mugs, cups and saucers. Spoil yourself with new items but be sure to donate excess crockery.
• Give the pantry a good clean out. Wipe down shelves, cupboards and doors, and check expiry dates on all products, discarding any that are out of date.
• Group together key ingredients for your favourite weekday meals. Grouping products together makes cooking dinner (and writing the shopping list) quicker and easier.
Bedroom & wardrobe
• Rearrange your wardrobe so all current season’s clothing is front and centre.
• Edit your clothes as you rearrange and decide what to keep, sell, donate and ditch.
• Do an inventory of bed linen and donate extra items to charity. Give new bed linen a spritz of linen spray after washing.
• Give your sofa an update by adding new cushions. Add a throw rug to create extra layers of cosiness.
• Edit your collection of books and magazine. Pass on, return and donate those you no longer wish to keep.
• Burn scented candles for warmth and ambience. Insider tip: Etikette’s candles are scented based on SA destinations including Seacliff, Heysen, and Eyre and Yorke Peninsulas.
• Edit bathroom towels and decide what to keep, donate or discard.
• Keep towels fluffy by washing them in warm water and don’t use too much detergent. Adding a cap of white vinegar to the rinse cycle also helps.
• Check the expiry dates of medicines and cosmetics – discard any items that are out of date and stock up on items you know you’ll need.
Follow Edited Interiors on Instagram.
Sonia Bavistock is a fashion and lifestyle blogger and also has her own social media management and copywriting business. Sonia is passionate about all things South Australia and can often be seen dining out with a glass of wine in hand.
Visit I Choose SA to meet the people building business and industry in SA, and to find out how your choices make a difference to our state.