By Lana Guineay
It’s an SA thing. From what you put on your sandwich, to when you put up your Christmas tree – there are certain tell-tale signs that you grew up in Adelaide.
We’ve compiled 22 of our favourite tip-offs that you’re a local. So sit back, get the fritz and sauce sandwich ready, and see how many you can tick off the list.
You know you’re a South Aussie when…
1. You identify this thing as a “Stobie pole”:
2. Investigator Science Centre was the best. school. excursion. ever.
3. When it comes to food, you order a “yiros” (and not a kebab or a souvlaki). At home, it’s all about the “fritz” and sauce sandwich.
4. Their official name might be The Spheres, but you know them by their colloquial name: the mall’s balls.
5. You probably just learned that the mall’s balls have an official name.
6. You occasionally wonder why you don’t visit Mount Lofty more often. It’s gorgeous.
7. You ran up and down the Rundle Mall escalators for no good reason.
8. You’re still not quite sure how you’ve ever crossed the Britannia roundabout successfully.
9. Your family is bitterly divided along Power/ Crows lines.
10. When someone says ‘Popeye’, you don’t think of the cartoon. You think of the floating transport system.
11. It may “officially” be called The Beach House – but emotionally, you’ll always think of it as Magic Mountain.
12. You started reading this list for one reason: Dazzleland.
13. Whenever you say “plant” interstate, people ask if you’re English.
14. You learned how to toboggan at Mt Thebarton.
15. You’ve burned your legs on a slide at Greenhill Adventure Park or Puzzle Park.
16. Big things you’ve witnessed include: an orange, a lobster, a rocking horse and a koala.
17. Free iced coffee from a Black Thunder? You’ve had a few.
18. You took your radio to Bonython Park for the SAFM Skyshow.
19. You’ve complained about the Clipsal traffic at least once. Each year.
20. The volcano at the West End Brewery Christmas display slightly freaked you out as a kid. You’re okay with the Lobethal lights though.
21. You know that the correct time to put your Christmas tree up is Christmas Pageant day.
22. You’ve ridden on a red hen.
Top image: Via Brettlstar on Flickr, Creative Commons.
What have we missed? Let us know on Facebook.
If you like this list, check out 12 slang words you’ll only know if you’re from SA.